With each day that passes, we not only become wiser, but our bodies change and we inevitably will begin to show the signs of aging. However, instead of turning towards cosmetic enhancements, let’s look at how successful anti-agers in the generation ahead of us embrace the aging process.
Below are 5 habits of successful anti-agers:
1. Avoid smoking and second hand smoke – Smoking is hazardous to your health, but did you know that tobacco smoke can double or even quadruple your risk of heart disease, stroke and raise the odds of lung cancer? Inhaling second hand smoke will also increase the risk of heart disease by 30 percent and lung cancer by 25 percent. And if that were not enough, as you age your skin will become more fragile. Smoking contributes to the damage of your skin and appearance of wrinkles.
2. Make time for fun – Studies have shown that people who work long hours are more likely to develop high blood pressure. In one study, the risk of a fatal heart attack was nearly 3 times higher for those who didn’t take a break from work-related fatigue. Don’t allow this to occur, instead be sure to leave your work at work. Enjoy your time at home with family and friends and most importantly learn to relax and simply enjoy life.
3. Avoid fast food – Successful anti-agers stay away from fried foods and soft drinks. They are aware that consuming fast foods raises the odds for gaining weight and may also lead to chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation is not only uncomfortable but can also age your body, inside and out. Moderation is important but if you can avoid fast foods, your body will thank you.
4. Wear sunglasses and hats – Have you noticed how often the older generation goes outside without head covering or sunglasses? The answer is almost never! They wear sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun’s ultra-violet rays and reduce the risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration which can lead to blindness. They also wear protective clothing to avoid skin damage and stay cooler during the warmer months. Very rarely will you see them without hats, shades, long sleeves, or umbrellas to shade the sun.
5. Get health screenings – This may be one of the most important tips. Successful anti-agers check their cholesterol levels, blood pressure and blood sugar and test for cancers of the breast, cervix and colon. Not only do these tests keep them safe and informed, but getting testing regularly will help catch conditions in the earliest most treatable stages.
We all know that aging is inevitable. Successful anti-agers enjoy life and live their lives to the fullest. Implementing the above tips early on will help you embrace the aging process gracefully.