One thing I always speak about is living a happier and healthier lifestyle. Although it may sound overwhelming it’s possible. And with the following tips, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to accomplish this goal.
Remember you only have this one life and one body. Although many will say you only live once, wouldn’t you want to truly enjoy the life you have? Living a happier and healthier life will ensure you truly live your life to the fullest.
1. Practice what you preach. Do you find yourself giving your friends and others advice? Sometimes it’s easier to see solutions for others, but we rarely follow the same advice ourselves. It’s time to return the favor to yourself.
2. Resist temptation. Exert your inner strength and resist the urge to eat something unhealthy. You can also use this same inner strength to avoid saying negative remarks about someone. Each and every person has this inner strength within them and using it to avoid temptation is difficult but so worth it in the end.
3. Forgive. I’ve mentioned this in the past but it’s truly part of living a happy and healthier lifestyle. Making mistakes are a part of life and with those mistakes forgiveness must follow. Think back to one mistake that you made and release the guilt that has been harboring within you because of it. Instead of focusing on the mistake, place your focus on something positive that may have resulted from it.
4. Evaluate your needs. In today’s society it’s easy to think we ‘need’ certain items. However, step back and identify the items you truly need. Separate the ‘wants’ from the ‘needs’ and you will notice the true value for such items. Consider a love note from your hubby or your child’s hand-drawn photo of you and your child together. The simple things are actually worth more than the ‘valuable’ items we tend to crave. Evaluate your true needs and wants and you’ll be on your way to a happier lifestyle.
5. Live for today. Living your life as if you were still in your 20s is unrealistic. Instead, love and cherish each and every moment. Look in the mirror and love the reflection staring back at you. Don’t focus on wrinkles and spots, but rather look at those as memories of the life you have lived.
6. Accept yourself. This may be one of the hardest things to do, but when you accept yourself, you will truly live your life to the fullest. It’s important to understand that your mind doesn’t age, but your body does. Recognize that you will not be able to engage in the activities you may have done in your 20s but that doesn’t mean you should give up. Accept the person you are today; accept the body you have today; and learn to love each and every part of you!
7. Throw away your lists. It’s amazing how to-do lists can overtake your life. Yes, you must do certain things daily, but don’t allow a to-do list to place a damper on your day. Instead, create a ‘target list’ and focus on 3 to 5 projects you may want to accomplish in a day or week. Enjoy each moment and don’t allow stress to wiggle into your life. Reducing the stress of completing each item on your list will help you lead a happier and healthier lifestyle. Throw away the lists and focus on the present.
8. Be more like children. Learn some lessons from your children. Notice how they live their lives without fear. As adults, you can do the same. Too often we place unrealistic boundaries which make it impossible to truly live a healthy and fulfilling lifestyle. Learn from your children. And most importantly, learn to let go.
9. Encourage change. Who says we must do the ‘same ole – same ole’ each and every day? Shed the fear attached to change and consider doing something out of the ordinary today. Not only will you shock your family and friends but you will be amazed at how liberating change can truly be.
10. Celebrate your accomplishments. Celebrating and praising yourself for a job well done is essential to your overall sanity and well being. Don’t wait for praises from others, praise yourself and relish in your accomplishments. Remember always: You can do it!
So, what are you waiting for? Start adding one or all of these ways to your ‘target list’ and start enjoying your life – healthier and happier.
Did we miss anything? What else would you add to this list? Tell us in the comment section below.