Our bodies are wonderful and intricate machines. Because of their complexity, we must take care of them just as we would our vehicles, but only better. We all know that proper diet and exercise will keep our bodies in tip-top shape, but we neglect getting healthy sleep.
Sleep is an important component to keeping your body and mind refreshed. If you feel sluggish in the morning and lack the energy to face a new day, chances are you’re not getting enough sleep. Below I’ll share 10 ways to a peaceful night’s sleep:
1. Remove all distractions from your bedroom. Your bedroom should be a place for sleep and sex and nothing more. Many people have televisions or possibly an office in the corner. These are distractions that will interrupt a good night’s sleep.
2. Limit exercise and other stressful activities before your bedtime. If you need to exercise, it’s best to do so at least 4 to 5 hours before your regular bedtime.
3. Organize your life so you can get to bed at a consistent time each night. It may be easier said than done, but with some effort you can organize your activities to help establish a better bedtime routine.
4. Make sure your mattress and pillows are comfortable enough to sleep the entire night. If a mattress has lost its support mechanisms, it may hinder your quality of rest.
5. Get a certain amount of sleep each night. You might think you can function on 4 to 5 hours of sleep, but you’ll find yourself dragging near the end of the day. An ideal amount of sleep is between 6 and 9 hours because it allows for the completion of a sleep cycle.
6. Limit the amount of liquids you drink before bedtime. If you drink too much, your sleep will be disrupted with trips to the bathroom.
7. If you need to fall asleep to TV or music playing, program a timer so the noise and lights will go off at a certain time. This will help you stay asleep and conserve energy.
8. Minimize or eliminate medication used for pain, sleep, or depression, if possible. Always seek your doctor’s advice.
9. Limit your coffee or soft drink intake. The caffeine found in such drinks will interfere with a good night’s sleep pattern.
10. Develop a nightly routine to train your body and mind to fall asleep. The routine can be simply shutting down all the lights in the house or reading. Try anything that will train your body and do this at the same time each day. This ritual will help your body prepare for sleep easier.
Apply some of the above tips and find yourself enjoying, truly enjoying a peaceful night’s sleep!